What to expect once first seeing your doctor about PrEP?
- Questions regarding your sexual history.
- Discussing the risks & benefits of PrEP.
- Discussing potential side effects.
- Discussing how Truvada (or generic Truvada) works.
- Discussions regarding your ability & the importance of adhering to PrEP correctly.
- A request to undergo a conventional HIV test to ensure you are HIV negative.
- A request to undergo other sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing.
- Testing of kidney function.
- Doctor discussing Hepatitis B (HBV) immunity.
- The possibility that your doctor may recommend alternative risk reduction strategies & not PrEP.
- Discussing any questions you may have.
What to expect after commencing PrEP?
- An appointment to see your doctor 2 weeks after commencing treatment.
- Visiting your doctor every three months.
- Regular monitoring of kidney function and liver enzymes.
- Testing for HIV every 3 months.
- Testing for other STIs every 3 months.
- Immediate treatment of any STIs.
- Returning to your doctor every 3 months for your next PrEP prescription.